Or, turning that around, why YOU need a standing nonprofit nominating and governance committee
Many nonprofits create pop-up/ adhoc nominating (or nominating and governance committees) committees a month or two before they have their annual meeting to determine new board members. And while this is a common practice – this is NOT Best Practice. In fact, it’s bare minimum practice.
Best Practice is to create a combined a standing committee that focuses on nominations, governance, and leadership development. A group that will focus on finding and recommending potential board members as well as overseeing and evaluating the board and its efficacy.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a year-round Nominating and Governance Committee (often called a Governance and Leadership Development Committee)?
- Help identify prospective board members.
- Research, assess and recommend ideal candidates
- Oversee the board and its committees’ assessment of the:
- effectiveness, and
- Oversee an annual self-evaluation process to determine whether:
- The organization is fulfilling its mission
- The mission and vision are still representative of the organization and the space in which the organization works.
- Collect suggestions and recommendations of board members and consider which ideas should be acted upon.
- Provide regular updates to the board
- Consider whether the organization is serving its purpose according to the by-laws.
This is, of course, the briefest of overviews, but it shows the elements that are crucial to ensuring a nonprofit fulfills its mission and vision – with a strong set of board members – each and every year.
Interested in more information on Nonprofit Committees? Consider reading:
Assuring the Best in Nonprofit Management: The Committee on Governance and Leadership Development
The Fundraising Committee Experience
To learn more how Mersky, Jaffe & Associates can help your nonprofit’s nominating and governance committee or Board? Click here
For a more personalized assessment of your nonprofit and how Mersky, Jaffe & Associates can strengthen your board and its committees – call us at 800.361.8689 or email us by clicking here