Mersky, Jaffe & Associates, a national executive search and consulting firm, has been engaged to conduct a search for the Executive Director of Friends of AKIM USA in New York City.
Friends of AKIM USA supports AKIM Israel, a leading organization caring for 35,000 individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, regardless of age, faith, or ethnic background and their 140,000 family members. The organization, founded in 1951, operates 67 branches across Israel in all population sectors. AKIM’s mission is to make Israel a better place for people with intellectual disabilities (IDD): in a warm, inclusive, and respectful society, enabling self-actualization and offering equal opportunity while recognizing diversity.
Position Overview: The Executive Director will direct the operations of Friends of AKIM USA to raise funds for AKIM’s educational, social and capital projects promoting inclusion of people with IDD in Israeli society. This is a full-time position, located in AKIM USA’s Manhattan office, reporting to the Director of International Relations in Israel.
After a period of decreased activity stemming from the effects of Covid-19, the Executive Director will re-build the United States operation in collaboration with the local board and AKIM’s head office in Israel.
AKIM seeks a motivated professional who can articulate the organization’s impact to varying audiences, cultivating, and soliciting donors and prospective donors. The compensation for this position is $175,000.
- Lead all aspects of fundraising, including prospecting, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and donor acknowledgement.
- Develop annual budget, and long-term strategic and short-term goals.
- Identify and engage prospective high-level donors.
- Organizational responsibility, recruitment, and supervision of staff.
- Oversee board governance and build relationships with current and former board members.
- Identify, recruit, and train new board members
- Plan events and visits of delegations from Israel including AKIM program participants.
- Coordinate visits to Israel for donors, organizations, and prospective donors.
- Exercise creativity to engage supporters including naming opportunities for capital projects.
- Interact with representatives of foundations and federations to develop fundraising opportunities.
- Engage lay leaders from local communities including key influencers within the field of IDD.
- Manage social media.
- Travel occasionally within the USA and to Israel.
- Significant experience in fundraising and development, preferably with Israel-based organizations.
- Pro-active self-starter, with ability to problem solve.
- Proven success in building relationships and closing mid-level and major gifts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Understanding of the services offered to people with IDD is desirable.
Mersky, Jaffe & Associates is proud of its association with the Friends of AKIM USA and to be conducting the search for its Executive Director. If you or someone you know might be a suitable candidate for this position, please forward in confidence, the person’s name, cover letter, resume, and contact information to Lori Fodale by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.