Mersky, Jaffe & Associates has been retained by Daily Table to conduct a search for a Director of Institutional Funder Relations.
Founded in 2015 by former Trader Joe’s president, Doug Rauch, Daily Table is a nonprofit community grocer dedicated to providing fresh, tasty, convenient, and nutritious food to communities most in need at prices everyone can afford.
The core value is that delicious and wholesome food should be available to all. People can only make great food choices when it is convenient and affordable. By partnering with a network of growers, manufacturers, and other suppliers, Daily Table sources high-quality food and makes it available to the communities it serves. Daily Table
- operates two stores in the greater Boston area and plans to open a third in January 2021;
- plans to expand to new geographic markets in 2022;
- provides a selection of fresh produce, grocery staples, and made-from-scratch prepared foods at prices low enough to fit within every budget;
- encourages a shopping experience that fosters a sense of agency around people’s health (they can afford to eat well!), and the dignity of receiving a helping hand, not a handout; and
- creates livable wage jobs, with a strong preference for hiring people from the neighborhoods it serves.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Institutional Funder Relations will be responsible for development activities with foundations, corporations, and government agencies. S/he/they will be a highly motivated relationship builder retaining and growing support from current institutional partnerships as well as developing and executing strategies to grow new relationships. S/he/they must be able to work collaboratively with both internal and external leadership and foster a community of inclusion and belonging. S/he/they will engage, cultivate, and solicit new and existing relationships with an end goal of creating a portfolio of partnerships. Among their primary responsibilities, the Director of Institutional Funder Relations will
- conduct appropriate research on foundation, corporate, and government prospects;
- identify new opportunities for institutional support;
- devise and execute strategies for securing such support;
- prepare proposal budgets and budget narratives in collaboration with finance and program staff;
- write and edit proposals, reports, letters of inquiry, and other correspondence for submission of grant applications to foundation, corporate, and government funders;
- ensure that proposals are submitted on time;
- follow-up proactively on pending proposals;
- provide timely and compelling reports to existing funders;
- coordinate with Daily Table staff on planning and evaluation;
- work on system improvements for grant reporting;
- build and steward relationships (including reporting on current grants) with grantors;
- manage government relations activities as relevant to funding;
- complete government funding applications (including those for capital projects) and manage pre- and post-award processes;
- maintain institutional funder database, including files and correspondence; and
- perform other tasks as requested by the COO.
The successful candidate will have
- a commitment to the mission and vision of Daily Table and a demonstrated interest in food insecurity, nutrition and/or food systems;
- strong interest in the fundraising process;
- 5+ years of experience and an established record of success in securing grants from foundations, corporations, and government agencies through effective proposal writing;
- creativity in finding shared interests between donors/prospects and Daily Table, and translating these into partnerships;
- experience working directly with leaders of foundations, corporations, and government agencies;
- strong interpersonal skills, professionalism, and work ethic;
- excellent oral communication, writing, and presentation skills to craft strong and compelling narratives around Daily Table’s mission;
- exceptional organization and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects with great attention to detail;
- comfort with ambiguity and the ability to create value with limited resources;
- self-motivation to be proactive, focused, resilient, goal oriented and a results-driven professional prepared to work in a collaborative manner as a team player; and
- impeccable integrity, highest ethical standards, personal energy, and optimistic outlook.
As an organization committed to a culture of diversity and inclusion among staff, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, women or non-binary people, and those with lived experience of food insecurity.
The interview process is designed to get to know you in a low-pressure, friendly environment — and to give you ample opportunity to learn more about Daily Table, too.
The typical process includes these types of experiences:
- A resume screen and, if qualified, an introductory phone call
- An in-person interview with a member of Daily Table’s Leadership Team and others as appropriate (currently all interviews are being held via Zoom)
- A take-home exercise where you will have the opportunity to demonstrate your communication and problem-solving skills
We personally review every application and will typically reach out within a couple weeks to start the conversation.
We will always try to work with your schedule when arranging phone calls or meetings. We understand the time and commitment the interview process requires and will do our best to keep things clearly communicated and respectful of your time.
This position may be full-time or part-time. While Daily Table’s office is in Dorchester, the successful candidate will initially work remotely. Ultimately, the Director of Institutional Funder Relations is expected to commute to the Dorchester office.
The salary is $80,000 for a full-time person, adjusted for part time work.
If you are interested in this position, please forward a resume and cover letter to Rachel Woda at firstname.lastname@example.org. On the other hand, if you know of anyone who might be a suitable candidate, please provide us with their contact information, let us know whether we might use your name or not, and we will reach out to them.