Mersky, Jaffe & Associates, a national executive search and consulting firm, has been engaged to conduct a search for a director of individual giving for Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York.
Congregation Emanu-El offers a warm and majestic environment to congregants while also acting as a bold leader in the greater New York Jewish community. Founded in 1845 by German Jews who invited “all who come in peace” to partake, Emanu-El is the biggest Jewish prayer space in the world with one of the largest and most remarkable memberships in the country. Led by Rabbi Joshua M. Davidson, it provides spiritual, religious, educational, and cultural programming to community members of all ages. The synagogue features a top-rated nursery school, an award-winning religious school, the Stettenheim Library, the Herbert & Eileen Bernard Judaica Museum, and the Temple Emanu-El Streicker Center with Judaic, cultural, and socio-political adult educational programming.
Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York is the oldest Reform synagogue in New York City, grounded in a rich history of Jewish communal leadership in the city and beyond. Our congregation is dynamic and forward-looking, and as our current membership of 2,300 families grows, we remain committed to ensuring that new and current members alike, of varied ages, backgrounds, and interests, continue to have the highest quality experience in all aspects of synagogue life.
Over the years, the worship that congregants experience at Congregation Emanu-El was labeled “Classical Reform.” Today, we prefer to say simply “Reform Judaism.” It evokes our spirit of peace, justice, inclusion, relevance and sensitivity to the needs and desires of our diverse membership. As the congregation embraces the changes of the 21st century, it will continue to boldly innovate.
“In keeping with our founding in 1845 as the first Reform Jewish Congregation in New York City, Congregation Emanu-El continues to build upon its legacy of leadership and the timeless values of Jewish tradition as we strive toward a more just, ethical and compassionate world. We commit our spiritual, intellectual, physical and financial resources to strengthening our community today for a vital tomorrow.”
Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York seeks a bright, experienced, passionate, and ideas-driven Director of Individual Giving (DIG). Reporting to the Vice President, Development, the Director of Individual Giving is responsible for the Annual Fund as well as promoting all aspects of individual giving to support Congregation Emanu-El’s mission. The range of compensation is $100,000-$125,000 plus benefits depending upon experience.
Job Responsibilities – Director of Individual Giving
- Lead the development and execution of a comprehensive Annual Giving Campaign, working with the Vice President, Development, the Senior Director, Development and Philanthropy and the Development Manager
- Manage a portfolio of individual donors focusing on the $1,000 to $100,000 range
- Identify, cultivate and solicit prospects for special projects including The Streicker Center and holiday programs
- Support the Campaign and other initiatives as appropriate, especially in Annual Fund drive during Public Phase of the Campaign
- Develop and execute a comprehensive plan to grow the Fund, through individual cultivation and other strategies
- Craft and/or oversee development of letters, emails, social media, website, and collateral materials (pledge cards, brochures, and other special materials)
- Oversee reporting on annual fund progress, outreach to lapsed donors and stewardship of new donors with the team, including the development manager
- Collaborate with the development team and the IT department to oversee the organization and integrity of our Sales Force donor database
- Help design and implement donor cultivation and fundraising events for the Annual Fund, the Campaign, and other special projects as needed
- Participate in the broader community through events, services, etc. as needed
The successful candidate is a person who has:
- 3 to 5+ years of development and fundraising experience;
- Proven experience soliciting four or five figure gifts;
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, verbal, and written communication skills required;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to research information and compile into a briefing for presentation to key stakeholders;
- Strong interest in running and ability to articulate mission and its case for support;
- Strong project management skills and ability to coordinate a variety of tasks simultaneously and consistently follow up on details
- Must be able to function independently and in close cooperation with others
Mersky, Jaffe & Associates is proud of its association with Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York and to be conducting the search for its Director of Individual Giving. If you, or someone you know, might be a suitable candidate for this position, please forward, in confidence, the person’s name, cover letter, resume, salary requirements and contact information to Lori Fodale at firstname.lastname@example.org.