Mersky, Jaffe & Associates, a national executive search and consulting firm, has been engaged to conduct a search for the Chief Development Officer of the World Union for Progressive Judaism.
The World Union for Progressive Judaism (“WUPJ”), established in London in 1926, is the international network of the Reform, Liberal, Progressive and Reconstructionist movements, serving an estimated 1.8 million members worldwide in more than 1,250 congregations in more than 50 countries.
Today, headquartered in Jerusalem, the WUPJ represents the largest body of Jews in the world who seek a traditional yet contemporary expression of their Jewish spiritual, cultural, and religious identity. The WUPJ supports the Progressive Zionist Youth Movement, Netzer Olami, and the TaMaR Progressive Young Adult Movement.
Progressive Judaism extends the scope of religious observance by granting full equality to all Jews, irrespective of gender and sexual orientation, while championing the values of the ancient Hebrew Prophets, calling for justice, equality and commitment to peace.
It is WUPJ’s goal to ensure that all Jews have access to a vibrant and personally meaningful Jewish life that can best inspire them spiritually and ensure the future of the Jewish People, whether in the State of Israel or throughout the Diaspora.
- 1,000+ young adults participate in weekly activities in our youth clubs across the former Soviet Union.
- More than 5,000 Jewish, Christian, and Muslim families receive pre-holiday food assistance in Israel.
- Netzer Olami, WUPJ’s international youth movement, comprises 10,000 young adults as members and leaders of their local branches.
- 70,000 people a year enjoy quality educational and cultural programs in our Mercaz Shimshon – Beit Shmuel headquarters in Jerusalem.
Based in New York, the Chief Development Officer will report to the President, Rabbi Sergio Bergman and work in consultation with the Officers, Management Committee, Executive Board, and colleagues on the management team in Israel to implement a strategic development plan to raise restricted and unrestricted annual funds, capital funds, as well as expand the donor and funder base of WUPJ’s community of supporters. Compensation for this position is $200,000 plus benefits.
Among other specific responsibilities and duties, the Chief Development Officer will
- create and articulate the organizational case statement;
- develop a tactical fundraising plan that includes a calendar, timetable, gift table, direct mail appeals, grant-seeking, special events, stewardship and communications programs;
- prepare and monitor budgets for all development activities subject to the approval of the Management Committee;
- move prospects in a timely fashion toward solicitation and closure;
- oversee the appropriate acknowledgement of all gifts;
- manage the development of proposals for foundations and corporations;
- organize, motivate and lead Board members to recognize and carry out their fundraising responsibilities;
- train the Board, Development Committee members, and volunteers to serve as solicitors and cultivators of other prospects;
- supervise the research, cultivation, and development of appropriate solicitation strategies for identified and new major gift prospects;
- engage in and direct personal solicitation of such prospects;
- coordinate and conduct all communication with donors and prospects;
- produce a dynamic series of major donor cultivation events, such as private tours, parlor meetings, and planned giving seminars;
- create a variety of appropriate gift vehicles to meet the needs of different donors; and
- administer stewardship activities by supervising the maintenance of the database of contributors and gifts, track current and potential donors, and acknowledge, record and report all gifts with appreciation to donors.
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree, advanced degree preferred and be:
- an experienced professional with a proven track record in major gift solicitation and experience working with high level volunteers and philanthropists;
- a self-starter who listens and can build a motivated team of volunteers;
- a hands-on director with superior verbal and written communication skills;
- willing and able to travel both in the US and globally
- familiar with Israel and the Jewish philanthropic community; and
- a creative, energetic individual passionately committed to realizing the potential of the bold, innovative and dynamic vision of WUPJ.
Mersky, Jaffe & Associates is proud of its association with the World Union for Progressive Judaism and to be conducting the search for its Chief Development Officer. If you, or someone you know, might be a suitable candidate for this position, please forward, in confidence, the person’s name, a resume, cover letter expressing interest and a rationale for seeking this position, and contact information to Rachel Woda at firstname.lastname@example.org.