Mersky, Jaffe & Associates, a national executive search and consulting firm, has been engaged to conduct a search for a full charge Bookkeeper/Office Manager of the Hampton Synagogue, Westhampton Beach, NY.
For the past 32 years, the Hampton Synagogue has been a beacon for Jewish life in the Hamptons. The synagogue continues to experience unprecedented growth and success. Founded and still led by Rabbi Marc Schneier, a builder and a pioneer, he created the pre-eminent Jewish community in the Hamptons. Now, since its founding, the synagogue hosts international and national politicians and celebrities and has become one of the foremost synagogues in the United States.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the Bookkeeper/Office Manager plays a key role in ensuring the financial health and sustainability of the Hampton Synagogue as it looks to strengthen and enrich its community. The Bookkeeper/Office Manager will be responsible for the management, planning and coordination of the financial functions and office operations of the synagogue. This is a full-time on-site position with a compensation of $75,000.00.
- Monitor the overall daily accounting operations of the synagogue.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of the general ledger.
- Manage and reconcile accounts payable, disbursements, payroll (Paychex), benefits administration, accounts receivable, collections, bank statements and other accounting records related to the finances of the synagogue.
- timely collection of pledges due to the synagogue.
- Accounting/bookkeeping methods and practices are in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- proper maintenance of internal controls over finance and accounting related activities.
- successful cash management.
- Prepare for monthly reconciliations by accountant.
- Prepare and analyze monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports for the Chief of Staff, and auditors as appropriate.
- Develop budgets and financial analyses as directed by the Chief of Staff.
- Maintain updated records of individual giving and provide annual contribution statements.
- Manage all designated gifts, including memorial gifts and deferred giving, and assist in the management of the synagogue’s programs such as bequests, endowment or trust funds.
- Maintain the effectiveness and efficiency of the synagogue’s accounting and member software.
- Assist with special projects and perform other duties as assigned by the Chief of Staff.
- Work with staff to coordinate events including catering (food, drink, disposables, wait staff), security detail schedules, and order office supplies etc.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a graduate of a four-year college with a history of strong experience in business/financial management.
- Have 8+ years of similar financial business experience.
- Be skilled in the maintenance of financial, fiscal, and payroll record keeping.
- Be highly skilled in the use of QuickBooks On-Line, Paychex, other data management programs and MICROSOFT Office.
- Possess excellent organizational skills and the ability to work well with others.
- Successfully handle multiple tasks.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills; and will be communicating extensively with congregants, staff, outside contractors, vendors, and auditors.
- Adhere to strict standards of confidentiality.
Mersky, Jaffe & Associates is proud of its association with the Hampton Synagogue and to be conducting the search for its Bookkeeper/Office Manager. If you or someone you know might be a suitable candidate for this position, please forward in confidence, the person’s name, cover letter, resume, and contact information to Lori Fodale by writing to email@example.com.